ABOUT THE CHARITY
Following the closure of Hume Street Hospital in 2006, the Charity has adhered to the ethos and tradition established by its founder Andrew Charles a century earlier. In keeping with the principles of translational medicine to bring diagnostic and treatment discoveries from the “bench-to-the bedside”, the Charity has supported research into skin diseases and ways of maintaining skin health, as well as providing facilities to improve the delivery of dermatological services in Ireland
A Brief history of the Charity
Following the closure of The City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital in 2006 after nearly a century of providing treatment to patients with skin disease and cancer from all parts of Ireland, the City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital Charity was established to operate according to the rules of the Charter granted to the Hospital originally in 1916 and revised in 2008, in administering the proceeds of the sale of the Hume Street premises. The Charity is dedicated to perpetuating the ethos and tradition that are a tribute to the surgeon founder of the original hospital, Andrew Charles, and the many doctors, nurses, paramedical and general staff, and the many board members who were associated with the Hospital from its foundation to its closure. In keeping with the aims of translational medicine to bring scientific advances from the research laboratories to the patients with illness as expeditiously as possible, the Charity has provided financial support and expert opinion to establish the Charles Institute at University College Dublin, the Charles Centre at St. Vincent’s University College Dublin, and the Irish Skin Foundation.